I made this the Wednesday before hurricane Mathew hit us here in Florida. Definitely a weekend I choose to forget, but we made it with very little damage and a refrigerator that was packed full only to have to empty it 4 days later.
This is one of my ultimate favorite dishes my mom makes, I’m very excited to share it with you. Its so easy to make, you can use a spicy Italian sausage if you want to kick it up a notch. It’s great to take to a gathering, just heat it upon arrival. It is a great side dish as well, extremely versatile. Even a quick easy dinner for the family. It keeps well, place your left overs in serving containers and put in your freezer till you ready.
- 2 large fry pans and spoons, one for your vegetables and the other your sausage.
- Cutting board and knife for vegetables
- Cutting board and knife for cooked sausage
- Serving bowl
- 2 family size bags of 10 minute white rice cooked and put into your serving bowl
- 8 links of either sweet Italian sausage or spicy Italian sausage fully cooked and cut into bite size pieces, do not drain
- 1/2 green pepper diced small
- 1/2 red pepper diced small
- 1/2 of a large red or sweet Vidalia onion diced small
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 table spoons of butter
Dice your vegetables and saute them in your butter until tender, do not over cook you want them to be a little crisp and full of color.
In the fry pan of your sausage add your vegetables and cook on low for about 15 minutes, stir continuously. Your just combining flavors with the drippings of sausage.
Now add your vegetables and sausage mixture to the cooked rice, include your dripping from the sausage. Mix well.
Add salt and pepper to taste. When using the sweet Italian sausage I add a lot of pepper to give it extra kick.
Serve warm, serves about 6 hearty dishes