Probably the best bird I ever made. I’m so excited!
I’m a huge turkey fan. Well really any white meat, but turkey oh ya.. All time favorite.
So this year I made a butter herb dressing and it came out fantastic!
I used a 12 pound bird.
Preheat oven to 350°
- Large roasting pan (I used a store bought turkey pan, I love the throw away stuff)
- Mixing bowl and spoon
- Wooden spoon
- Tin foil
- Turkey fresh (if frozen thaw, remove extras, clean and rinse)
- 2 sticks of butter softened
- About 5 stems of fresh tyme leaves removed
- About 5 stems of fresh oregano leaves removed
- About 2 stems of fresh rosemary leaves removed
- 1 table spoon of paprika
- 1 tea spoon of salt and a bit more for the top
- 1 tea spoon of pepper and a bit more for the top
- 1 tea spoon of garlic powder
- Dried oregano for the top of the turkey
Place your beautiful turkey in your roasting pan.
With your handle of your wooden spoon separate the skin from the meat. Do both sides of your turkey breast. Set aside. Wash your hands.
Using another spoon and your mixing bowl, put your 2 stick of soften butter in the bowl and mush it around till it becomes like a paste.
Add all your spices and stir very well.
Place your butter mixture in the freezer to harden. About 15 minutes or so.
Now your going to shove your butter mixture under the skin of the turkey. Cover both sides completely.
Looks gross.. Lol but it should look something like this. Both sides.
If your are going to stuff your bird now is the time to do it. I made a cranberry stuffing.. Mmm mmm so good.
Add about 2 cups of water to the bottom of your pan. Sprinkle a little salt, pepper and dried oregano on the top of your turkey.
Using your tin foil make a top to cover your bird. Do not let the foil touch it will stick.
Place in the oven. It depends on cook time for the size of bird you have. I took the tin foil off the last 10 minutes to brown the top.
Once it’s cooked use the Turkey drippings to make your gravy.
Mmm mmm sooooo good, so juicy and full of flavor.