So excited to share this recipie. I love lasagna but I’m always looking to change it around and this one came out awesome!
Layers of vegetables, cheese, pasta and sweet Italian sausage. Mmm Mmm… So good.
- 2 large pots (one for pasta the other your sauce)
- 1 large fry pan for your sausage and vegetables
- Long handle spoon and ladle
- Cutting board and knife
- Lasagna pan large
- Tin foil
- 1 box of lasagna noodles (boil your pasta till tender, drain boiling water and add cool water to stop the cooking process, leave the pasta in the cool water, do not drain. Do this first, you need to able to pick up your pasta with your hands)
- 10 sweet Italian sausage links (cooked completely with no pink and sliced, about 1/4 inch thick) do not drain your sausage grease
Ingredients for sauce:
- 4 – 15 ounce cans of tomato sauce
- 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper (membrane removed, washed and diced)
- 1 large garlic clove (peeled and sliced thin)
- 1 table spoon of minced garlic
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 stems of tyme leaves removed
- 1 stick of butter
- Salt, pepper and dried oregano
Ingredients for vegetables:
- 1 zucchini (sliced very thin)
- 1 yellow squash (sliced very thin)
- 1 medium size sweet vidalia onion (peeled and sliced thin)
- 1 large red tomato sliced thin
- 4 stems of fresh garlic leaves removed
- About 5 cups of mozzarella or a cheese blend
First thing to do after your pasta is cooked and cooling, we’re going to make the sauce.
In your large pot, pour all 4 cans of tomato sauce next add your stick of butter, dried bay leaves and minced garlic. Bring to a low boil and continue to stir till butter is melted.
Now add your fresh tyme, sprinkle about 2 table spoons of dried oregano then salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer on low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 350°
In the fry pan you used to cook your sausage, add your diced peppers and garlic.
Saute till tender.
Add your saute vegetables and the remainder of the sauage grease to your sauce. Cook on low for another 20 minutes. Remove from burner onto a cooling rack. Remove bay leaves.
Slice your vegetables, place them on a serving platter for easy access.
Have ready your fresh oregano leaves and cut sausage.
Have your pasta close by, we’re going to start building your lasagna.
In your lasagna pan ladle just a little sauce at the bottom, This helps keep your pasta from sticking.
Now lay three pasta noodles on top.
Now add some sausage.
Next start layering your vegetables.
Then your yellow squash, tomato and onions.
Cover with sauce.
Then cheese and fresh oregano. Repeat this process till you reach the top of your pan.
End your layers with cheese. Cover the entire top. I used a 4 blend of cheese, my grocer was out of mozzarella. Shocking I know but it turned out amazing.
Cover with tinfoil and bake until cheese is melted and bubbling. Mine stayed in for a little over an hour. I’m picky about my vegetables, I don’t like them to crunchy.
So good and definitely will fill your tummy with warm yumminess. 😀
Serves about 8. Serve warm. You can freeze left overs in individual serving containers.