This is a healthy dinner using no oils or butter. Just vegetables flavoring the pork loin with a variety of fresh spices.
This dish is cooked slow so it flavors through.
Preheat oven to 350°
- 8 quart cast iron pot with lid or a crock pot with lid
- Cutting board and knife
- Oven mitts
- 1 pork loin about 1 pound or so
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 Vidalia sweet onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 cup of green onions
- 1 green pepper (membrane removed washed and sliced)
- 1 yellow pepper (membrane removed washed and sliced)
- Red potatoes cut into quarters (enough to cover the entire loin)
- 1 -1/2 cup of fresh carrots sliced
- 1/2 of a zucchini sliced thin
- 1/2 of yellow squash sliced thin
- 4 steams of fresh oregano leaves removed
- 3 stems of rosemary
- Dried Italian spice (I used Mc Cormick blend)
- 1 large garlic clove peeled and sliced thin
Place your loin in your cast iron pot or crock pot add one cup of water.
Layer first your potatoes.
Next your peppers.
Then your squash and carrots.
Now add your onions.
Next your fresh spices and garlic. Spread evenly.
Your pot should look something like this. You want to fill it to the top with your vegetables. They will cook down. Don’t be afraid to pack it in.
Now cover your dish with pepper and your dried Italian spices.
Place the cover on and cook for 2 hours if using the cast iron pot. When done, carefully remove from oven using your mitts. Do not remove cover, let rest for about 15 minutes. Then spoon out your vegetables on a serving platter with your loin.
For the crock pot, cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Serve warm. Serves about 4.