Hands down definitely an epic sandwich. That is what we call them when we’re excited about sandwhiches in our house, epic burgers and now epic sausage sandwich. 😀
- Fry pan and spoon
- Pot for boiling your sausage
- Cutting board and knife
- Baking sheet
- Tin foil
- Knife for spreading
- Oven mitts
- 5 sweet italian sausage links
- 1 green pepper (membrane removed and diced)
- 1/2 sweet Vidalia onion (peeled and sliced about 1/4 inch)
- 1 large garlic clove (peeled and sliced thin)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 4 hogie or sub rolls
- 2 stems of fresh oregano leaves removed
- About 3 cups of shredded cheese (I used a 4 cheese blend)
- Minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
Preheat oven to 350°
Boil your sausage links till cooked with no pink. Once cooked slice 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.
Pour a small amount of Olive oil into the bottom of the fry pan.
Add your vegetables, sliced garlic and salt, pepper to taste. Saute on medium low till tender.
Add your sliced sausage, saute till your sausage is warm.
Add your diced tomatoes.
Cover and cook on low for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Cut open your rolls leaving them attached on one side. Spread both sides of your roll with butter and minced garlic. Don’t be stingy with your butter and garlic.
Toast your buns till they have a light brown color.
Fill one side of your bun with your sausage and vegetables.
Add fresh oregano.
Then add heaping amounts of cheese to each sandwich.
Place back in oven and toast till cheese is melted and bubbling.
Makes about 4 sandwhiches. Serve warm.