This soup is full of flavor mixed with onions, peppers, sweet italian sausage, tomato, fresh garlic, oregano and three cheese tortellini. Its very easy to make and serves a bunch so you can freeze for later or have family and friends over. Served with some warm garlic bread. Its a perfect meal.
- 1 Large soup pot
- 1 Large fry pan
- Cutting board, fork and knife
- Long handle spoon for stirring
- 2 Large mixing bowls
- Measuring cup
- Serving bowls
- 1-19 ounce package of frozen tortelli (cook using manufactures instructions using the large soup pot, drain and set aside in one of your mixing bowls)
- 5 Sweet Italian sausage links (using the same large soup pot, add 7 cups of water. Place links in water and boil till fully cooked. Do not drain your water, this is your soup base. Place sausage on cutting board and cut into bite size pieces. Place the susage in the other mixing bowl and set aside)
- 3 cups of tomato sauce (pour into your large soup pot and set your burner on low, stir thoroughly)
- 1 green and 1 yellow pepper (rinse and remove membrane, dice)
- 1/2 yellow onion (peel and dice)
- 3 Large garlic cloves ( peel and dice)
- 1 red tomato diced
- Salt, pepper and dried oregano
- Olive oil
- 2 cups of mozzerlla cheese
In your large fry pan, pour just enough Olive oil to cover the bottom, add your peppers, onions and garlic. Saute till tender.
This is what your soup base should look like.
Add your tomato sauce.
Now add your sausage, diced tomatoes and your peppers, onions and garlic.
Raise you heat to medium low, bring to a slow boil. Add salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Boil for about 8 minutes, stir constantly. Turn heat back to low and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
Next add your cooked tortellini. Stir gently. Cook for another 10 minutes.
Ladle into your serving bowls.
Add shredded mozzarella cheese.
Serve warm. Will feed about 10.