My house is a huge fan of pasta. I’m a huge fan of Italian Sausage. So why not combine the two into a hearty soup.
This is perfect for this time of year. Its getting chilly out so why not have this ready tonight for dinner.
Serve with cheese and some garlic bread. It will be the perfect dinner.
- 8 quart stock pot with lid
- Long handle spoon for stirring
- Large pot to boil pasta
- Pot or fry pan for sausage
- Cutting board and knife for onions and garlic
- 4 sweet Italian sausage links or 1 pound package of ground Italian sausage (I used the links, it’s what I had in the house, either is fine)
- 24 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce ( I used Ragu)
- 1 – 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 vidilia sweet onion peeled and diced small
- 1 garlic clove peeled and diced small
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 large 49 ounce can of chicken broth
- 19 ounces or about 4 cups of cheese filled tortellini (I used frozen, refrigerated is just as good. Which ever you prefer.)
- 1/2 cup of the sausage boil if you chose to use the links (optional)
- 3 stems of fresh oregano leaves removed
- Garlic salt
In your stock pot combine sauce, tomatoes, butter, chicken broth, diced onions, garlic and oregano.
Stir and set your burner on medium low. Cover.
Boil your tortellini till tender and they float. Use manufacturers instructions.
Once cooked place your pasta in your stock pot.
Cook your sausage. I used the links and cut them in small bite sized pieces.
To cook the links I boiled them till done, about 20 minutes. Check to be sure there is no pink. Then I added 1/2 cup of the sausage boil to the stock pot. If you pan fried your sausage just skip this step.
Add your sausage to the stock pot and stir in. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
Taste test your soup carefully, add pepper and garlic salt to taste. Stir and cover again for an additional 40 minutes. You want it to slow cook so it will flavor through. The longer it sits the more flavor you will have.
Makes about 6 bowls.