Layers and layers of of pasta, hearty tomato sauce seasoned perfectly with fresh spices and vegetables, beef, sweet Italian sausage and melted cheeses.
This will be your favorite lasagna. In this blog I am providing you with the recipie for the sauce, if you have extra. Place it in freezer safe zip lock bags or containers to use with future recipies.
Supplies for sauce:
- Large 8 quart cooking pot with lid
- 2 fry pans, one for your beef the other sausage
- Cutting board and knife for vegetables
- Spoons for stirring meats and vegetables
- 1 long handled spoon for stirring the sauce
- 3 peppers, 1 green, 1 yellow and 1 red (remove membrane, wash and dice small)
- 1/2 sweet Vidalia onion peeled and diced small
- 1 pound of market fresh ground beef (cooked through and chopped small, do not drain)
- 1 pound of ground sweet Italian sausage (cooked through and chopped small, do not drain)
- 1 stick of butter
- 5 stems of fresh oregano remove leaves
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- 3 large cans of tomato sauce, 28 ounce size cans
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes do not drain
- Salt and pepper to taste
First thing, if you have not done so cook your meats and set aside to not drain. In your pot add your tomato sauce, garlic, basil, oregano and meats with juices set your burner on low.
Dice your vegetables including your onions, place in your fry pan that you used to cook your sausage. It holds the most flavor. Add 1 pat of butter.
The remainder of your butter, place in your pot with the tomato sauce, stir.
Slow cook your vegetables on low till tender, stir frequently do not over cook you want them to have a little crunch.
Add your vegetables to your sauce, stir and cover. Your going to keep your burner on low and cook for about an hour and a half, stir frequently.
The idea, your flavoring the sauce with the meats, spices and vegetables slowly. Taste your sauce half way through and add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for the remainder of the time.
Its time to make the lasagna.
Preheat oven to 350°
Supplies for lasagna:
- 1 large 8 quart cooking pot to boil your pasta
- 1 large lasagna pan
- Large ladel
- Tin foil
- Hot mits
Ingredients for lasagna:
- 6 cups of shredded cheese (you may use only mozzarella or a combination of the cheeses listed below) in this recipie I used a combination of mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, asiago, fontina and romano cheeses
- 1 box of pasta (cook till tender) drain from boiling water, add cold water to cool your pasta. You may have to do this serveral times so you can touch the pasta with your hands. Add a little vegetable oil to the cooled water to keep your pasta from sticking together. Gentley stir to coat.
Set your lasagna pan on the counter in front of you. Have your sauce, pasta and cheese close by.
Now we’re going to layer, using your ladel, add sauce to the bottom of your pan just enough to cover, this prevents the pasta from sticking. Now layer 1 row of pasta, about 3. Next ladel sauce covering then cover with cheese. Repeat this process till your fill your pan or run out of pasta. Once you have reached the end leave about an 1 inch space from the top, you need room to add lots of cheese and sauce.
Now cover completely the top of your dish with sauce then cheese, you will want a heavy layer. Cover with tin foil and place in oven. Bake till cheese is melted about 30 minutes, if you like your cheese a little toasty, remove the tin foil and bake about 10 minutes near the end, bake till cheese reaches your desired look. Remove from oven using hot mitts.
You do not have to bake your lasagna right away, make this dish the night before, just place in the refrigerator covered till the next day.
Serves about 12 hearty slices.